2005 saw the start of a new Furby design, called Emoto-Tronic Furbys, or Furby 2005.
It was first released with 4 different color combinations, which later expanded to 16. The approximate retail price at which they sold was $39.99 (USD). Sales were poor due to the limited voice recognition, and the popularity of the FurReal Friends line of toys at the time.
Emoto-Tronic Furby Babies were also released in 2005, and came in four variations. New special edition Emoto-Tronic Furbys were released a year later in 2006, and were named Funky Furbys. They came in three variations.
Each Emoto-Tronic Furby, including Funky Furbys, came with a spoon and each Emoto-Tronic Furby Baby came with a bottle.
List of Emoto-Tronic Furbys
|Charcoal||Sleepy Blue||Sleepy Pink||Sleepy Purple|
|Coffee||Red Velvet||Caramel Syrup||Sand|
|Tropical Mango||Strawberry Swirl||Cotton Candy||Grapesicle|
|Funky Emoto-Tronic Furby (Special edition)|
|Pink & Yellow||Purple & Green||Blue & Purple|
Differences in design
The new Furby design was almost double the size of the original Furby and featured a rubber beak, proper plastic feet (opposed to fabric material ones), bigger ears, eyes with more detail, no tail (except for Funky Furbys) and a different body shape. It also has a switch which activate any of the following modes: on, off, and try me.
Functions and abilities
A 2005 Furby has a tummy sensor and a back sensor much like a 1998 Furby. The 2005 Furbys do not have an infrared sensor or light sensor between their eyes like the 1998 Furbys, therefore, they cannot sense changes in light. They can only communicate with another Furby if both of the Furby's stomachs are pushed in for a few seconds until they blink. The 2005 Furbys can communicate with the 2005 Furby Babies and other 2005 Furbys only. They can eat when their mouth sensor is pushed with a finger or Furby spoon. This Furby could also smile with a mechanism inside the rubber beak.
This series of Furby focused on being able to understand speech and respond accordingly rather than just recognizing loud sounds. To get its attention, You must say "Hey Furby!" Once Furby says "Huh?", "Hmm?" "What?" "Doo?" or " Yeah?", you can give it a command.
- "Sing me a song" will make it sing "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" in Furbish or English. This depends on how long it has been played with.
- "Tell me a joke" will make it tell one of its favorite 7 knock-knock jokes.
- 'Show me a dance" will make it sing and dance. (Funky Furbys will not dance unless music is played or if you make a tune for it to hear by clapping or hitting something.)
- "Tell me a story" - it will tell you about its life story and its home on Furby Island in Furbish or English, depending on how long it has been played with.
- "Do you want to play?" will make it play its favorite game of 'red light, green light'.
- "Go to sleep" - Furby enters sleep mode and will wake up when you whistle, make loud noises, press Furby's tummy or mouth, or tilt Furby.
- "I Love You" - Will make Furby purr, or say "Me love you!" or "Me love you more!" This depends on how Furby feels. Sometimes Furby will burp when you say this.
- "I speak Furbish" - you can speak of the above commands in Furbish.
Red Light, Green Light
Furby will tell you the rules of how to play Red Light, Green Light if Furby wants to play with you. You come when Furby says "Green light!" You stop when Furby says "Red light!" If you tickle it when its eyes are closed, you win! If you tickle it when its eyes are open, the Furby will win! If you tickle it too hard, the Furby wins! First, you have to go 10 steps away from the Furby. When it says "Here we go!", the game will start. The Furby will try to trick you when it says "Grrreeeeeee-Red light!". At the end of the game, Furby will ask you if you want to play again.
How to Reset Your Furby
To reset Furby, you must turn Furby off and hold Furby upside down while pressing down on Furby's tongue. While doing this, turn Furby on and stop pressing Furby's tongue. You will know if you have followed these steps correctly when Furby says "Good Morning!".
The Funky Furby
- Main article: Funky Furby
The Funky Furby is a rare variant of the emoto-Tronic Furby. Unlike the normal Emoto-Tronic Furby, this Furby has a tail.
In 2005, a new version of Furby Baby was released, with most notable features being the new look and a more "baby-ish" appearance in contrast to the Emoto-Tronic Furby adult. They also have considerably fewer features than the "adult" Furby, with a very limited vocabulary and a lower level of interactivity.
- Main article: Emoto-Tronic Furbys (2005)/Technical information
- At the end of the Funky Furby commercial, the blue Funky Furby sings Funky Furby Hip Hop in the exact same tone an English Funky Furby would sing in rather using a lower-pitched voice.
- In the Furby commercial, when Hunter Pecunia (the girl with an orange athletics jacket and pigtails) is asking the Furby on the table to tell her a joke, there is a photo frame with a photo of a white prototype 2005 Furby.
- At the end of the Dutch Furby commercial, two Furbys are seen in boxes that appear to be more rectangular than an actual Furby box.
- In Japan, the 2005 Furbys are known as 'Furby 2'.
- According to an article from ITmedia, Furby retailed in Japan at a price of 4179 yen (about 40 Dollar/32 Euro).
- On Hilary Duff's 18th birthday, she was given a custom 2005 Furby as a gift. This Furby could sing Happy Birthday to her.
- According to the People magazine everyone of her guests, who attended her birthday event, received their own Furby.
- These Furbys are voiced by Patricia Thompson.
- Though one source which had a photo of the 2005 Furby's voice actor stated the voice actress was Patricia Thompson, the Spanish Funky Furby manual credits the voice actress as "Patricia Whol".
- Emoto-Tronic Furbys were displayed Hasbro's Transformers media - in the 2007 Transformers film on a Furby-advertised truck, which exploded in the film.
- German Emoto-Tronic Furbys can’t tell jokes, but they can do future-telling.
- Due to Emoto-Tronic Furbys having a 'try me' mode which requires batteries, many Emoto-Tronic Furbys that are still NIB will have some pretty nasty battery corrosion.
- If purchased from the Hasbro Toy Shop website, new Emoto-Tronic Furbys would have come with a Furby Certificate of Authenticy. Only a thousand were made and sent out.
These Furbys appears in all the adult 2005 Furby Commercials, excluding the Japanese version. These CGI Furbys appeared on the packaging of some 2005 Furby merchandise, online postcards from the official website, and they have shown up in a Burger King Furby Magazine. Some of the CGI Furbys have appeared on the covers for Furby Island DVD cases.